Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Followers

Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Caramelised Cranberry Relish

As is my tradition, I bought the Christmas Edition of the Good Food Magazine, and found a number of recipes that I can't wait to try! One caught my eye, and I decided to have a go the other weekend.

I was so impressed with how nice it tasted even though it was really quick and easy. Below is the recipe I made, slightly adapted as I couldn't buy the exact amount the original recipe required. Working on the basis that most people only have a heaped dessert spoonful of cranberry sauce I think it would stretch to 10-12 people. I split the quantity in two, one for 4 adults on Christmas Day and one for 5 Adults on Boxing Day. I have put it in the freezer ready for Christmas - one homemade thing completed ahead of time that will make a tasty difference on the day.

Ingredients:

1 x Large Orange
1 x Small piece of fresh ginger (I used a Thumbnail size piece after guidance from my mum!)
120g Golden Caster Sugar
600g Fresh Cranberries (I would have used frozen if I could find them - they'd probably cost less!)

Method:
  1. Zest the orange and finely shred the ginger, putting to one side.
  2. Juice the orange and tip into a saucepan.
  3. Add the sugar and stir well.
  4. Boil gently until you achieve an amber-orange caramel.
  5. Add the orange zest and the ginger, leaving to cook for a minute or so.
  6. Add the whole, washed cranberries and cook on a high heat.
  7. After about 5 minutes the cranberries should be starting to split but still have their texture.
  8. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes or so until you have a soft but textured sauce.
  9. The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools. Once you have roughly the consistency you want, take it off the heat and allow it to cool.
  10. Once cool either put in the fridge until you need it (the original recipe suggests it will keep for a couple of weeks) or freeze it.
Tip: The original recipe suggests a splash of Port if you fancy it, this is added together with the cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to leave a comment: